Our 12 year old Boxer was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma last week. The X-rays showed it located around his left rear knee. The vet suggested amputation, for which I was not for because of his age. His blood work showed he was otherwise healthy, but even with his meds he is in pain. My wife do not want him to suffer and I have been told that the amputation will relieve the pain and maybe give him up to another year of life. He has been a very close to us and our grandchildren. It is a very hard decision because I have read that the recovery period from post op is longer for older dogs and the rehab process may be difficult. Has anyone out there faced a similar decision as to amputate or give pain meds until it was time to put your best pal to sleep?
To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!